Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

No Such Thing As "Luck"

February 18, 2015



At this moment, I think I've been the most content that I have felt in a long time. 

Granted, there is still a lot more work to do before I am completely satisfied with life - and even so, is there really anyone who is 100% satisfied with their lives at this moment?  Probably not.  Maybe 91.5% at the most, but never a hundred per cent.

But I must say that things are going really great.  I'm loving my new job, I have people in my life who really believe in me, and who are supportive of me, and I think I've smiled more within the last month than I have the whole of 2014!

I definitely don't want to jinx myself here, but I think I'm on the fast track to becoming me again.  And that's a really great feeling.

I suppose it's kind of ironic given that the year in which I finally feel happiness is the year in which we have the most possible Friday the 13th's in it!



Not that I am a superstitious man by any means, but if you're phobic about Friday the 13th, this year is not a good one for you.  There are three of them in 2015 alone...we had one in February, and we can expect there to be two more in March and November.

(Interestingly enough, the year that I was born in also had three Friday the 13th's.)

Again, I'm not a superstitious man by any means, but there's something that we have in my family that might make the world believe that we are crazy and/or paranoid.

You see, we have something that is widely believed to be known as "Turcotte Luck".  And Turcotte luck is ALL BAD.

Let's put it this way.  If any of us get to go on a vacation, we never seem to have any fun.  The planes get delayed, or the car breaks down.  The weather is bad every day of the trip except for the day we leave.  And more often than not, we all end up getting sick while on vacation.  This has happened to both of my siblings at some point in their lives.

But hey.  That's Turcotte luck for you.

Also, whenever we plan something out in great detail, something happens that causes the whole thing to become a disaster.  If we're invited to go to a wedding, leave it to someone to get lost on the way, or forget the wedding present, or throw up in the car on the way to the reception, or smear chocolate mousse all over the very expensive rented tuxedo you were wearing.

(One of those things actually happened to me.  Want to take a stab as to which one it is?)

Even our holidays could be considered less than perfect.  Thanksgiving this year was more or less cancelled because of my mom being in and out of hospital during the whole month of October (thankfully, she is doing a lot better now), and Christmas was almost a disaster because of bad weather that almost knocked out our power.  Thankfully, we had lots of candles and flashlights available so that if we had to, we could have light.  Of course, Christmas dinner would have been a complete loss.

You see what I mean?  The "Turcotte Luck" seems more like a curse.  And every single member of the family seems to have been affected by it.

Well, that is...if you believe in luck in the first place.  I tend not to.

I believe that everything happens for a reason, and while we may not understand why that may be the case, it's important to know that even a so-called "Family curse" can teach us a lot of lessons.

In the case of missing Thanksgiving because my mother was sick, it made all of us appreciate her a lot more, and I think that the whole thing brought our family closer together.  That's a good thing.

I thought that getting moved from department to department was bad luck at first...but maybe I needed it so that I could find my groove and start to see things more positively. 

And, hey...maybe there's a method to getting sick on Vacation.  Maybe it's meant for us to appreciate what we have at home...even though getting sick on vacation is always a bad thing.

The truth is...I don't believe there is Turcotte Luck at all.  I believe in taking challenges that come our way and making the best of them.


I didn't always feel this way...but then again, I haven't felt this content in a long time either.

No comments:

Post a Comment