Search This Blog

Thursday, April 02, 2015

Handsome In Pink

April 2, 2015

You want to know what I enjoy the most about Easter and spring weather?  Losing the big bulky parkas and earmuffs and being able to show off your true fashion sense in bright, bold, vivid colours.

I know I am one who likes most things about the Spring.  The only thing that I don't particularly like is the fact that my allergies are at their worst in the Spring.  I always have to take allergy meds between April and June to keep from sneezing my head off.  Trust me, seeing me off my allergy meds during that time is NOT a pretty sight.

But I have to tell you this much.  I love wearing bright clothes.  I love colours and patterns and all that fun stuff.  In fact, if one were to look at my wardrobe, you'd see two distinct sections of clothing.

The first section is all of my black and white clothing that I would wear to work.  You see, my workplace has a distinct dress code where we are only allowed to wear black and white clothing, and on days in which I have to report for duty, I have to wear those.

However when the work day ends, the black and white clothes come off and I put on the clothes in the second section.  Clothes that are in every single colour of the rainbow and have wacky designs and patterns that definitely make a person stand out.

And believe me...as someone who is well over 200 pounds, I definitely stand out whenever I put on bright colours.

Seriously, I love wearing colours such as orange, and purple, and blue, and pink, and...

Yeah, that's right.  I said I like wearing pink.



This is a picture that I took a couple of days ago in a pink shirt, and I have to say that I think it looks great on me.  I would go out on a limb and say that I look pretty...no, wait.  Handsome.  That's it.  I look handsome in pink.

But you know, there are some people out there who would probably poke fun at me for wearing a pink shirt.  They claim that pink is a "girl" colour, and that if I were a real man, I wouldn't even think of wearing pink.

See, I always thought what made a real man was being proud of who you are and not caring what other people think.  In fact, I'll go out and say that my favourite colour is purple - another non-traditional colour for males.  Yeah, you try telling the Toronto Raptors that one of their main colours is "girly".

I mean, a colour is a colour.  Simply that.  But it's absolutely amazing how judgmental some people can get when they see someone wearing the wrong colour.



It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer's white clothing got mixed up in a load of laundry with Bart's lucky red cap, and all of his white shirts ended up pink.  Homer naturally freaked out about it, but Marge tried to tell him that nobody would get upset if he wore a pink shirt to work.

Of course, people did care, and Mr. Burns and Smithers decided that wearing a pink shirt equated to being clinically insane and Homer found himself institutionalized in a mental hospital.

Now, I understand that the reason why this was the case was to make a subplot that introduced a character voiced by Michael Jackson.  But to throw someone in a mental hospital for wearing a pink shirt?  Talk about overkill.

Why, that's like having two states introduce a bill that makes it legal to withhold services for people who identify themselves as a member of the LGBTQ community.

Oh, wait.  That's already happened.  And to the people who implemented that bill into Indiana and Arkansas legislature - SHAME ON YOU!

Anyway, that's another topic for another day.  Please remind me to bring it up again - which I most certainly will.

Anyway, back to colours.  Just because a boy decides to wear pink - it doesn't make him a sissy, or girly, or anything like that.  It just means that he's secure enough in himself to wear whatever colours he wants.

I think that we all have the right to express ourselves in the way that we think is best for all of us without having to worry about prejudice or closed-minded opinions from people who really should know better.

Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment