Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2015

In Defense of Millennials

I'm going to be really honest.  My generation is getting a really bad rap due to the actions of a select few people who happen to be a part of it.

Unfortunately, these people also happen to be some of the loudest and self-absorbed people to ever grace the public eye.

And, well...as much as I hate admitting to partaking in hypocrisy, in this case, I'm going to have to make an exception.  I hate giving these people more publicity but at the same time, I can't help but give examples - just to prove to everybody that not all people who were born in my generation are like this.



The generation, of course, is the Millennial Generation.  And I suppose in some way, I fit the description of a millennial - a person who grew up around technology for most, if not all their life and who values the need for social networking and flexibility in jobs to find what best suits them.  Typically speaking, a Millennial is the son or daughter of parents who were a part of the Baby Boomer generation - or, in my case, parent.  My father was one of the first Baby Boomers, born in 1946.  Mom missed being a Boomer by two months.  Though, given that 2001 seems to be the end date of the Millennial Generation, I suppose some can claim to have parents from Generation X as well.

(Well, technically, I'm kind of on the cusp between Generation X and the Millennial Generation.  Most sources list the end of Generation X as 1980 and the beginning of the Millennial Generation as 1982, meaning that the year I was born (1981) is kind of like that delicious cream filling inside of a generation gap Oreo.)

Anyway, there's been a lot of talk over a couple of separate, but unrelated news stories that despite their differences have one thing in common.  The main subject in both articles are women who are part of the Millennial Generation. 



The first tale we'll talk about is the story of ESPN reporter Britt McHenry (b. May 28, 1986).  Or, I guess I should say "suspended" ESPN reporter.

But what could she have possibly done that could have gotten her suspended from the job she has worked at since the spring of 2014? 

Well, give this video a watch.



Now, I should probably clarify that this video does appear to be edited, as we don't really see any clips of the person behind the service desk of the towing company that this was filmed at.  But either way, the one thing we know is this.  We know that McHenry knew that she was on camera after the attendant pointed it out to her.  After all, we saw the gesture.

And we also know that despite knowing that the camera was on her, she continued to behave in a condescending manner towards the person behind the desk, even going so far as suggesting that her job is something that she should be ashamed of and even takes pot shots at the person's looks.  Again, it would be nice to see the other side of the tape so that we know what could have sparked these comments, but regardless of which, she had absolutely no right to take on an aura of superiority towards someone else who is trying to earn a living.

In fact, watching that video made me cringe.  I can't believe that anyone would act that way and treat someone else with such disgust just based on where they were and who they are.  It's so foul.

Now, to McHenry's credit, she later issued an apology towards the woman at the towing company.  Time will tell whether she has learned anything from this.  I certainly hope she has.

At the very least, I have more faith that she would have learned a lesson from her tantrum than story number two...a story that is more chilling and disgusting than the first.  And surprise, surprise...the star of this tale is a member of the Millennial Generation.

Now, the first thing you need to learn about Kristen Lindsey is that she is a VETERINARIAN.  She is a medical professional whose job includes taking care of sick animals and bringing them back on the road to recovery, or if the animal is too sick, her job is to put them to sleep in a HUMANE manner.  Remember this for later.

The second thing that you need to learn is that Dr. Lindsey has a side hobby of archery.  Or, at least she owns a bow with several arrows.  And that's perfectly fine.  Lots of people practice archery and lots of people do target practice in a safe area to enhance their skills.

And the third thing you need to learn about Dr. Lindsey is that she apparently has no idea how to tell the difference between a feral cat and a domesticated cat.  And that she apparently has keyboard diarrhea.

You see, the good veterinarian decided that she would practice her archery skills on an orange and white cat that she claimed was a feral cat, and when the arrow made contact with the cat, she couldn't resist...ahem...bragging about it.



And no...I will NOT include the image.  It is disgusting and makes me want to vomit.  Actually, the first reaction I had when seeing the photo was pure sadness.

I mean, it would be one thing if the cat was known to be a rabies carrier, or was infested with other incurable diseases.  That would be the only way that this would make a lick of sense whatsoever.  And even so, using a bow and arrow seems to be one of the least humane ways to kill an animal.  Mind you, guns and bear traps are definitely more brutal, but a bow and arrow to kill a cat?  Come on.

And the photo showed her taking pleasure in holding up the arrow with the cat still attached to it with a great big smile on her face and exclaiming that she's the best vet ever.  Oh, yeah...did I mention that she's a VETERINARIAN?!?  How would you feel knowing that your vet that took care of your dog goes around shooting random cats that pass by her yard?  It sort of develops a conflict of interest, doesn't it?  Especially when she takes so much pleasure in bragging about how "the only good feral tomcat is one with an arrow through its head".

The picture was just the disturbing, tainted cherry on top of the ice cream sundae of blood and disgust.

In this case, the vet was let go from her position - despite her claiming that nobody could get rid of her because she was "awesome".

Oh, yeah.  You're "awesome" all right.  And the tragic part?  The cat she murdered wasn't a feral cat at all.  In fact, it could have belonged to a family in Dr. Lindsey's neighbourhood whose cat went missing TWO DAYS BEFORE SHE POSTED THE PICTURE ON FACEBOOK! 

So, why do these two stories rile me up so much (aside from the self-entitlement and psychopathic tendencies that were displayed in each story)?  Well, I found both of these stories on my Facebook News Feed, and sometimes when I see a story that interests me (or in this case, shocks me to the point where I can't believe there are people who really are this vile), I take a look at what some of the comments are underneath.

And well...what made me mad was that some people were commenting that because of these two women, an entire generation of people were rude, crude, sociopathic, idiotic, and not even worth knowing.  They did everything they could do say that the Millennial Generation was the worst generation ever born.



To which I say...hold up.  These two people are NOT a true representation of us.

Believe me, I've heard it all before.  A couple of years ago, I used to belong to a website forum where there was one person who consistently insulted everybody on the board who happened to be born after 1980.  And when I say insulted, I mean they really raked us over the coals and made cruel jokes at our expense.  I took it for a little while, but eventually I had to ignore this person's garbage entirely because I could not stand his negative attitude towards an entire group of people based on the actions of a select few. 

See, I don't take kindly to people who make preconceived judgments on a whole generation of people just because they don't like one or two people within it.  That would be like me declaring that every single man born in 1964 is a serial killer and rapist because Paul Bernardo was born that year.  It sounds absolutely silly when I put it like that, right?

And it sounds really silly to judge the Millennial Generation negatively because of two women who clearly didn't act too swiftly or professionally.  Truth be told, I've known a lot of fellow Millennials who have gone on to do some fantastic things and who have shown that our generation does have a place in the world and is capable of creating some great things to make the world better.  So, stop judging us because of the actions of a couple of people.




And for that person who kept insisting that people born after 1980 were useless and not worth knowing?  Yeah, keep in mind that those people are going to play an integral part in your golden years from filling prescriptions to serving you coffee to even giving you life-saving surgery to keep you alive.

Just think about that the next time you badger and badmouth the youth.  These two women are exceptions, not the norm.  Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment